A recent study by Nielsen on Social Media confirmed many “gut instincts” I had regarding social media usage. This information is critical for any organization trying to reach their customers, audiences, or communities they serve.
Whether you’re a local business owner, a church or non-profit organization, or an educator – developing a social media plan is not a luxury, it’s a necessity – especially, if you want to be culturally relevant both now and in the future. Bottom line: Social Media is here to stay and mobile access is the future!
Here are some highlights of the Nielsen Social Media Q3 Report:
- Social networks & blogs reach 80% of Americans who use the Internet (4 out of 5 people)
- People spend 25% of their time online on a Social network or blog
- 40% of social media users access content via mobile devices (smartphones, tablets, iPads, iPhones, etc.)
- Females & 18-34 year olds are the most active users of social media content
- Facebook is most popular website among Americans
Read the report for yourself: http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/social/
Also, the Pew Internet and American Life Project released similar findings back in August: http://pewinternet.org/Reports/2011/Social-Networking-Sites.aspx